This is something that I've run into a couple of times, and I'm just
curious about the thought process behind such design, if intentional:

When a view has visibility GONE, it is still allowed to accept UI
events.  This is especially strange in positional UI events like
touch, where any positional state it likely an artifact of past/
invalidated state.

My colleagues and I cannot come up with any scenario where this
behavior would be desirable.  Quite the opposite, it would seem to be
an easy way to limit the view tree traversal for event handling.