I can only answer number two.  The cost is zero to get the SDK and
write fully-functional applications for Android.  There is a one-time
$25 fee to become a developer and publish in the Android Market, and
you'll have to furnish your own hardware of course.  Eclipse and all
the Android software tools are free.