I'm sorry to say that this is still a problem. We are trying to create
an application with a very location-centric workflow. The problem is
that we need tabs which you can navigate inside of, but the workflow
is rather complex and we do not want to use an ActivityGroup for that
reason (unmaintainable at this scale).

So we've decided to use the Fragments API, which I take it was kind of
designed for this reason (I remember the documentation saying
something to that effect). This allows me to have one activity
representing the tabs workflow, but to have the fragments like mini
activities inside the tab's hosted activity (complete with back
stack).

The problem is that with multiple fragments in the same activity, if
you have already shown a MapView on a fragment, that fragment may
still live somewhere in the backstack. Showing another fragment with a
MapView kills your app because the other one still exists (even if
hidden).

Or am I doing something else wrong?

Karl