> On some devices that is going to be way over budget.

The 8mp example is the max case. I don't expect low-end devices to
have an 8mp camera. So let me try again, about 64MB of extra space in
native on a phone that has 512MB of RAM, is that reasonable? I am just
trying to find a right balance here to take advantage of the memory
when it is available. Also note that such memory use would be for
periods where an image is loaded and edited, so it is not allocated
all the time.