ContentValues values = new ContentValues();
                values.put(MediaStore.MediaColumns.DATA, resourcePath);
                values.put(MediaStore.MediaColumns.TITLE, (String) ((Button)
v).getText());
                values.put(MediaStore.MediaColumns.MIME_TYPE, "audio/mp3");
                values.put(MediaStore.Audio.Media.IS_RINGTONE, true);
                values.put(MediaStore.Audio.Media.IS_NOTIFICATION, false);
                values.put(MediaStore.Audio.Media.IS_ALARM, false);
                values.put(MediaStore.Audio.Media.IS_MUSIC, true);

                // Insert it into the database
                Uri uri =
MediaStore.Audio.Media.getContentUriForPath(resourcePath);
                RingtoneManager.setActualDefaultRingtoneUri(this,
RingtoneManager.TYPE_RINGTONE, uri);

I set a mp3 ringtone (that plays well on my ubuntu and windows) on
samsung galaxy android phone, but it gives a weird sound instead of
the mp3.

Conny