The logcat says that the receiver timed out - took more than 1000 ms.

Perhaps for some reason your receiver crashes or takes too long on 2.3.4,
after getting the bitmap?

Is there anything else in the logcat, like onReceive crashing? If not, you
could put a try / catch block around your onReceive and log any exceptions
(don't think they always go into the logcat for a receiver).

Changing the extra to a string probably causes your receiver not do some of
the things it does, hence a different result.

-- Kostya