Ok, here is some info:

http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/data/backup.html#Testing

Ensure that backup is enabled

   - If using the emulator, you can enable backup with the following command
   from your SDKtools/ path:

   adb shell bmgr enable true

   - If using a device, open the system *Settings*, select *Privacy*, then
   enable *Back up my data* and *Automatic restore*.
   -
   ( strangely enough, my Xperia Arc running 2.3.3 doesn't have this setting
   under Privacy.... but a Galaxy S does.... )
   -- Kostya