Okay now my manifest reads as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android";
      package="com.raghavsood.quaker"
      android:versionCode="1"
      android:versionName="1.0">
    <permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
    <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="8" />

    <application android:icon="@drawable/icon"
android:label="@string/app_name"
android:permission="android.permission.INTERNET">
        <activity android:name=".Quaker"
                  android:label="@string/app_name">
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
                <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
            </intent-filter>
        </activity>

    </application>
</manifest>

Yet the problem persists. Any ideas? Logcat output is the same without
the internet permission problem. As far as I can see my manifest has
the required intents and code. Any ideas?