OK, here's an absolute kludge but one which seems to work.

In my resources/xml directory, I still have the four existing
AppWidgetProviderInfo metadata files for backward compatibility:

mywidget_1x1.xml
mywidget_2x2.xml
mywidget_3x3.xml
mywidget_4x4.xml

Each of these is for a different size of widget as used pre-3.1, with a
pretty basic XML, like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<appwidget-provider
xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android";
    android:initialLayout="@layout/mywidget_1x1"
    android:minWidth="72dp"
    android:minHeight="72dp">
</appwidget-provider>

Then for 3.1, my resources/xml-v12 directory looks like this:

mywidget_1x1.xml
mywidget_2x2.xml
mywidget_3x3.xml
mywidget_4x4.xml
*mywidget_resizable.xml*

The key is that mywidget_resizable.xml is the only live one here, defining
the single resizable widget for 3.1. The other four are all dummy XML files
like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<foo />

It doesn't matter what you put in them as long as they're valid XML but *not
* a valid AppWidgetProviderInfo structure. That way, they'll override the
earlier-version XMLs, but the OS will be unable to parse appwidgets out of
them, so won't show them to the user in the appwidget picker. Naturally, all
five need to be defined in your manifest.

Like I said, it's a horrible kludge, but I'm not seeing any actual problems
with it If anyone has a better idea, I'd still like to hear it.

String