per Dianne H on Google+:

"...These are not part of the platform, they are helper classes in the
support library, so they are not documented as part of the platform
API documentation. The full source code is available as part of the
package, and there are also full samples of using them in the new v4
and v13 API demos apps:
http://developer.android.com/resources/samples/Support4Demos/src/com/example/android/supportv4/app/index.html
and
http://developer.android.com/resources/samples/Support13Demos/src/com/example/android/supportv13/app/index.html
(look for Fragment Pager, Fragment State Pager, Fragment Tabs Pager,
Action Bar Tabs Pager)."

So if I read that right, even if they are not part of the Android 3.2
SDK 'proper' someone must have thought them so cool they just had to
include them in the ACL.

Given my reliance on MapView for my app I decided to stay away from
the ACL for the time being (feel free to pop that into the ACL btw
Google - it's not in the SDK either).  And by coincidence I just
finished shoehorning all the 3.1 SDK ActionBar goodness into my single
source codebase yesterday, so it will be a while before I'll be ready
for 3.2.

I'm very happy that you are blazing the trail though, Mr M.  Keep up
the good work.

Nick