I don't deny that real hardware is needed sooner or later.  But I hope
Google isn't restricting their developer ecosystem to multi-million dollar
software houses only.  I am developing applications for multiple Android API
levels, multiple screen resolutions and screen sizes.  Is Google saying
every developer should buy real hardware for each of these hardware
configurations?

Considering just API level versions only, you're talking about at least 4
configurations: 2.2, 2.3.X, 3.1, and the latest/greatest.  Of course, you
could always try downgrading and upgrading as needed.  But I also need to
consider convenience and efficiency.  For those developers who haven't
gotten their million dollar investments yet, we need to still do the
necessary testing, but on a very low budget.  For us single developer
houses, there's a very big difference between spending $500 and $5000.  I
need to think about the total cost, and not just the cost of the tablet.
 e.g. if my application needs to use peripherals, that will also add to the
cost.  If I had a choice, I would rather spend that $5000 on the peripherals
than on another tablet or phone.  Google makes billions of dollars net
profit every year.  It can afford to buy hardware for each developer.  But
I'm just starting out, and I'm just asking for a little consideration.

--jc