A string is useful to be able to look at the process information in the
debugger, and the most common use for this is to have multiple .apks share a
process to run in (not run parts of a single .apk in multiple processes), so
a string provides the ability to do scoping and generally not go insane.

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 8:05 PM, elDoudou <the.edouard.merc...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thank you "Indicator Veritatis" for your clear answer.
>
> For you, what I intend to do is impossible. I cannot figure out why
> the Android team declared an "android:process" attribute, and do not
> expose that value at runtime to the application, because this
> information is only an instruction on whether a dedicated Linux
> process should be allocated for a specific component type (Activity,
> Service, BroadcastReceiver, ContentProvider ...): the fact that this
> actually names the Linux process this way is an implementation detail
> and a coincidence. If the process should be anonymous containers and
> that it is not supposed to be available from the API at runtime, why
> not having design an "android:process" value with an ordinal? I now
> know that I need to review the Android source code for better
> understanding that "android:process" thing.
>
> BTW: my application has about 100 activities (I did not say
> "hundreds" ;), because this is a very large application, and I already
> put into common many activities. For information, I'm not totally a
> rookie: I have already been developing about 40 Android applications
> (see http://code.google.com/p/droid4me for some of them), and I have
> been developing now for 25 years (which, of course, does not involve
> that I'm a good developer ;).
>
> Regards,
> Édouard

Dianne Hackborn