As far as I remember I had to cancel the service specifically. Killing
the App's pid is not sufficient.
Even a timer thread can bring the App back.

I do not know how to do that from adb. From Java code its easy as you
know (service cancel()).

Sorry if I am no help to you. I just remember this problem myself a
month or two ago.