Well it is too bad we made that API public. :p

You can use "adb shell dumpsys window" to see the windows in the window
manager, to see how your windows have been Z-ordered.  Also be sure you are
setting this property before the SurfaceView is attached to its window, and
never changing it.

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer
hack...@android.com