I suggest looking at the SystemUI process
(frameworks/base/packages/SystemUI), which is responsible for showing the
status bar and extending as desired.

First question you will need to answer is what layer your UI goes in to:
above everything including the lock screen, above the system bar /
notifications, above toasts, just above apps.  It is likely you will need to
define a new private window type with its own layer (assigned in
PhoneWindowManager) to get it z-ordered where you want.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 1:32 AM, Ankit <ank82...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi ,
> I want to keep my application ( Application A ) on the top always in
> Android.  Application A is not a full screen  application, it is a
> floating window or dialog theme based application. The Application A
> can launch other application.\ from its own UI portion also other
> applications can be launched from background from Home screen
> shortcut / Application Launcher screen.
> How can we do it?
>
> Also the application which are in the background with Application A on
> top should work normally. e.g. it can Launch other activities (of it
> own own or some other application), dialog etc.
>
> Second doubt/ requirement  is -  Activity Y is below Activity X,
> Activity X is below Activity A (of Application A) . Activity X has a
> close/exit button which would finish its own activity X. Now when that
> button is pressed the activity get closed but leaves a black screen
> below activity A.
>
> Why does this happen (i think may be because it requires the Back
> stack to be rearranged)  and is their a turn around way of being able
> to do this.
>
> If any  application in the background  launches another activity/
> application then also my application ( Application A ) should come at
> the top of the launched activity/application.
>
> Thanks ,
> Ankit

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer