No that isn't true.  It is the C2DM mechanism.  Android since 1.0 has had a
single constant connection to google services to receive "tickles" when
there are things to do -- single email or contacts, etc.  One of the tickles
is to perform app downloads.  This is the exact same mechanism the C2DM is.
 It has been there since 1.0 for the Google applications, and was only ready
to be exposed to third party developers in Froyo.

(Also fwiw this is technically not part of the Android platform itself, but
proprietary features that Google supplies to developers on top of the
platform.)

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 7:06 PM, Nikolay Elenkov
<nikolay.elen...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Paul Turchenko
> <paul.turche...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It's push. Android market (vending process on your device) keeps
> > passive connection with Android Market server. Same way Gmail app
> > works. This is why email delivery is instant.
> >

> Interesting. Do you have any more details about this? Since
> it doesn't work if you are not logged in to Google Talk,
> I always thought it uses some sort of XMPP notification.

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer
hack...@android.com

answer them.