I'm playing with different ways of presenting validation errors back
to the user and one thing I want to try is changing the background
color of EditText views to red or orange to indicate error or warning
states.  I want to create new drawbles for these states based on the
standard drawable for the EditText background.

EditText uses as it's background android.R.drawable.edit_text, which
is named as an XML file, though it's contents are not XML.  What is
this format?  It doesn't look to be one of the three types discussed
in http://code.google.com/android/reference/available-resources.html#drawables

Cheers,
Bren