My few cents:

I'm not saying Zsolt is wrong, but from my experience of (somewhat optimistically) moving raw SQLite databases produced by various versions of my Inventory app between various devices from 1.6 to 3.2 I've not encountered any problems at all, nor have any of my 25000+ users reported anything. Hence, I would say that if there is an incompatibility issue here, then it will only manifest in certain situations and it would appear that I've been lucky enough to avoid them. Both I and some of my users have also successfully altered these databases using the tools available on the SQLite site and then used them again on the phone/tablet. So there MAY certainly be issues, but apparently it is possible to avoid them too without even trying.

                        YMMV / Jonas

PS. My database format has changed over time, but in a backwards compatible way which is detected and handled as suggested in the docs.

On 2011-08-03 18:35, Dianne Hackborn wrote:
Ignoring SQLite, I would never expect to be able to go back to an older
version of *anything* and have it read the same data files created by a
newer version.

If your application were writing its own data files, do you think it
would robustly be able to read ones written by a newer application in an
older version of it?

In terms of SQLite specifically, I also wouldn't consider this a
document storage mechanism.  It is a database, and good for that kind of
stuff, but if you have data you want to transport across different
devices I really think it should be in a robustly designed document format.

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 6:08 AM, Zsolt Vasvari <zvasv...@gmail.com