Nick,

Thanks for participating in this open conversation about the bluetooth
API - this is the first time that I'm aware of that outside developers
have had the opportunity to express themselves at this stage in the
development of a phone OS/API.

As I'm sure you are aware, Bluetooth data connection between apps are
supported by JSR82.  To the best of my knowledge, the only platform on
which pairing is required for these connections is the Blackberry.  As
far as I can tell, this was done for the pretense of security since
the platform was originally only targeted at the enterprise market.
On the Blackberry dev forums I regularly see confusion and surprise
about this restriction.

The only other platform (beside the Blackberry) which really limits
bluetooth is the iPhone, but this is expected of Apple.

I am being dismissive about the security advantages of the blackberry
approach for these reasons:

- The majority of phones available now (in Europe but not in the US)
allow full access to JSR82, without requiring pairing, and without
even requiring that the midlet be signed.

- More importantly, I've not encountered any regret about this, or any
sense that it is a mistake.  Instead, easy access to JSR82 is
spreading: now, even LG and Samsung are starting to provide this.

- Security concerns like this should not be addressed by limiting the
functionality of the system, when they can be addressed at the
application security level.  I can't comment on the difficulty of
implementing this, but certainly it would be better to produce an OS
that is not limited in the way that the BB and iPhone are.

If you really believe that bluetooth communication without pairing is
a security hole - and I believe that Nokia and SE have shown that it
isn't - then I think it would be better handled by the application
level security mechanisms.

Thanks,
Tom.