Well, something is not working :) Possibly something, somewhere, is keeping
references to the old SQLiteDatabase object that in turn still references
the old file.

That is what I think but where between: Content provider |  CursorLoader |
CursorAdapter | something else...

If your server is smart and prepares a small, optimized update, all the
better. How large is your database?

On device, my database is around 1,20Mo (~100Ko with zip compression)
You are right with an optimized update with only the essential.

All case, I am really want to understand the actual behavior