Adding an External Library (.jar) using Eclipse
You can use a third party JAR in your application by adding it to your
Eclipse project as follows:

In the Package Explorer panel, right-click on your project and select
Properties.
Select Java Build Path, then the tab Libraries.
Press the Add External JARs... button and select the JAR file.
Alternatively, if you want to include third party JARs with your
package, create a new directory for them within your project and
select Add Library... instead.
It is not necessary to put external JARs in the assets folder.

http://code.google.com/android/kb/commontasks.html

- Juan T.