On Monday, August 9, 2010 10:53:37 AM UTC-4, AlreadyAMember wrote:

> During this loop in C " in case of an error"  I would like to
> "callback" the java UI thread and pop up a dialog from C , the KEY is
> C has to block and wait.
> So if I create a thread and set up a handler in Java to show the
> DIalog the the native C code won't block. I have also looked in to
> Loopers Thinking that it could be helpful to block the C code.
>
> Now of course I could be naive and write a while(wait) in c and as
> soon as dialog is closed I can make a native call from java and set
> the wait to false.
> But that is just not cool.

Actually that is approximately the right idea, only it would be better if
the waiting thread could simply ask the kernel scheduler not to run it until
the wait condition is satisfied, by calling a kernel function that will
block until that is the case.  A semaphore is a classic operating system
feature for accomplishing that.  A method for accomplishing nearly as much
without requiring as much understanding of operating system services would
be to just put a substantial sleep in the loop.