I ran this:  $ . build/envsetup.sh  inside ~/bin/WORKING_COPY folder
and it returned this:
including device/htc/passion/vendorsetup.sh
including device/samsung/crespo4g/vendorsetup.sh
including device/samsung/crespo/vendorsetup.sh
including sdk/bash_completion/adb.bash

Then I went into the source folder and did:
$ m -j16 clean-libcrypto clean-libssl clean-openssl clean-ssltest
Couldn't locate the top of the tree.  Try setting TOP.

I even tried to run this:    source ~/bin/WORKING_DIRECTORY/build/
envsetup.sh    inside the source folder but it didn't return anything
and still m or mm commands return the try setting top message