Hi there,
I have an XML layout containing an image view which loads the first
image ( of a series of 8 images). Also in the layout are two arrows -
one for previous and one for next, using these buttons the image in
the view changes using setImageResource and pass IDs as R.id.image1,
R.id.image2 and so on.

The images being loaded are 8 bit indexed PNGs at 800x600, 65KB each
file. On loading the fourth or fifth image, the program throws an OOM
error and terminates. The solutions I found suggest deal with loading
Bitmaps at runtime through code and use inSampleSize, recycle() and
the GC to deal with this. Obviously, each call to the GC on a button
press is slowing down the app (at least in the emulator)
considerably.

Please advise.