I wasn't actually thinking of hardware requirements.

As hypothetical example, the G1 in Germany is tweaked to the local market at
version x. Android evelopment continues and version x+1 is out which is
already quickly adopted in the US. Some interfaces in x+1 break the x
version of apps, so you need version x of an application for OS x, and
version x+1 for OS x+1. The G1s in Germany stay a while longer on version x
as some small development is needed to tweak x+1 for the german market..

If you would want to distribute 1 application on the 2 OS'es the appstore
would need to carry them both (different compiled versions) and dish up the
right version for the right OS version.

I can also think of more complex scenario's as some hardware company may
take the android source code and specifically change it for their own
hardware (to differentiate themselves e.g.)

Regards,
Sven