to dear David,

You're right. It's actually a proxy problem at all. In the cupcake
version, you need to set proxy through the following steps:
1) adb shell
2) cd /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases
3) sqlite3 settings.db
4) INSERT INTO secure VALUES(99,'http_proxy','<proxy_server>:<port>');

I have no idea why the proxy settings under the Menu-Setting is not
work at all.

Thanks for your help ;-)

Best regards,
Nicholas