On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:32 PM, Studio LFP <studio....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't mean to shift gears here on you, but you are putting these
> EditTexts in a ListView and you may not even need the ListView.
>
> A ListView is usually not edited in place and actually are very friendly
> when you try to.

Your statements seem contradictory. You say a list view is not edited in
place.
Then you say a list view is very friendly when you try to edit it in place?

> Are you planning on having a lot of these edit boxes?

Yes, in each row. On average there may only be a dozen or two or less per
screen.

> It might be better just to use a LinearLayout wrapped in a ScrollView and
> dynamically add EditText to the LinearLayout assigning different IDs as you
> go.  That way you can access those at any time and you won't have to fight
> with the ListView.

Yes, in the end overriding getView was giving me lots of problems so I
dumped the listview altogether
and used inflation of XML rows in a linearlayout in a scrollview in a
linearlayout. This may be inefficient
but I would have had to keep an array of rows around anyways even if I
implemented a listview with an
adapter...

what is not clear right now is what advantages/disadvantages a listview with
adapter may have had
compared to views added to a plain linearlayout.

> I know people don't like to share ideas for programs, but can you explain a
> little more why you would have so many edit in place boxes that you need a
> ListView?

Since I don't want my users to have to go through a separate screen to input
information which
could be edited in place, I do it right there. Just like with SQL queries,
some returned rows have
unique fields, and some do not, hence the need to update textedits
concurrently.

Regards,

John Goche