I need to make an app that transmits GPS information each 5 minutes
(the information gathering can be switched on and off in the app).

The question is: to ensure that the information is gathered should I
call the requestLocationUpdates() on an regular app or should I use a
widget running in the background?

The problem with a regular app is that it will be paused if there's a
low memory situation. That would stop the GPS updates, making the app
useless. (Correct if I'm wrong)

If I use a widget instead, I'm certain it will be started each 5
minutes and requestLocationUpdates() will be called (with a
removeUpdate() every time there's a fix). But can I be certain the
widget will stay in memory until there's a GPS fix? Or, if the GPS fix
takes too long, there is also the risk that the widget will be paused
before acquiring a fix?

Comments by anyone with field experience on the subject will be most
welcome, thanks :)