I have an application in android market that does not work on htc
desire and I am positive the issue is not in my code. Basically I have
a private static final field that is initialized to a reference to an
object and yet whenever I access that object from another thread it
throws a NullPointerException even though it is initialized.

It works in the emulator but I have not tested the application on many
phones. But on those that I tested it works.

I am absolutely positive that the object is initialized before the
thread accessing it starts. I moved the initialization in the
constructor that completes before the thread starts. I removed static
final. Nothing. The thread UI calls surfaceCreated and in it I create
this object and start a thread that later accesses the object and
somehow accessing the field in the run() method causes
NullPointerException. If I access it from the UI thread it works. Can
a field be thread specific? And for everybody else be invisible? And
why only on HTC Desire (haven't tested other HTC phones). I thought it
might be some race condition or something since it has a faster CPU
but the code really looks like this:

status = new Status();
Thread thread = new Thread() {
 public void run() {