I'm facing the same problem here, but under different circumstances.

I've also a standard and simple EditText, but my Avtivity does not have any
special behaviour. At first, it's superclass implemented OnClickListener,
which was overridden by the activity, and we removed that. Each callback
function was created as an Anonymous inner-type, and things got working. At
least for 30 min, then the bug showed up again.

I tried your approach of using an AsyncTask, but as most of the
initialization code is related to UI, it could not run in another thread.
Even with the remaining code left on the task, the problem persisted.

Have anybody else crossed this problem and got it solved?

Oh, and the device we're using is the Galaxy S II.

All the best
-Alvaro.