hi , i have solved similar problem.i have a list generated from the phone
contact and on the top of populated list view i have added text field and
search button so the user can search from the populated list.You and my
fuction seems similar i.e list view Since i am using list view i used cursor
on the custom ListAdapter to populate the data  which i placed on
constructor declaration so the required data is available for render in
getView() of adapter.it worked fine for me and code is little complex for
 myself also when i look back at glance  on the list.setOnClickListener()
which i implement differently but Adapter portion is simple.I don't know how
you linking with helper class.