I've done an app that must work in the background fetching messages
from a web site that must never sleep. For that I'm using
PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK, let the screen turn off and wake it when there is a
new message. Here's some code:

----------
       pm = (PowerManager) getSystemService(Context.POWER_SERVICE);
       wl = pm.newWakeLock(PowerManager.PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK |
PowerManager.ACQUIRE_CAUSES_WAKEUP  "screenOff");
       wl.acquire();

// on the URL reading method:
    while ((line = reader.readLine()) != null) {
        if (!pm.isScreenOn()) { // There is a message, turn the screen
on
                pm.userActivity(SystemClock.uptimeMillis(), false);
                Log.i(TAG,""Screen on");
                ... do stuff

This has two problems:
1) The screen doesn't turn on, as expected (although the code is run,
including the Log.i)
2) How to prevent the appearance of the default lock screen? That is,
how can it jump directly to my app after the screens turns off and the
users touches a button or the screen?

I've tried to (re)acquire the wakelock to turn the screen on but that
doesn't work.
Thanks in advance!