"Difficulties with one device"
I have no way of knowing how many makes/models of device this problem
is on. I know that it happens all the time on my Samsung Galaxy
(I9000). Others report exactly the same thing as being a feature of a
number of HTC devices - these two make up a major part of the market I
believe. I think I may well have two faults - one is the "standard"
eglSwapBuffers hang, which none of the suggested fixes have had any
effect on -square textures, different GLSurfaceView, wait, flush,
finish etc. The second one, which I think <might> be related, is my
intermittent framebuffer corruption, I am willing to accept this may
be my fault in some way I have been unable to pinpoint.
http://www.fordartworks.co.uk/dodgyS.png - the ractilinear dodgy area
just above the left and right arrow buttons.

"smacks of throwing the baby out..."
At the moment, I am just hugely frustrated by the long list of
problems I have faced with Android - halts on writing to SD card,
gradients that don't work at one particular angle and so on. I have
been a software designer and developer for over 25 years - parallel
architecture research, trading room systems, real time etc (assembler,
Fortran, Prolog, Occam, C, C++, Java) and I have never been so
frustrated by any system - there has always been a different way of
doing things, getting round problems. With this /these? OpenGL
problem(s) it appears to be a black box. Without a genuine
understanding of what is wrong, any "fix" is pure conjecture.

"should just be ignored"
I am extremely reluctant to put out an App that looks flakey or, much
worse, shuts down people's phones. "Ignoring" a problem that I can't
get round is not a viable solution I feel.

"plugging and unplugging the USB cable"
The USB cable stuff was a problem I had with very jerky OpenGL
performance when the rendering load was heavy - this was caused by the
CPU clock reducing when the GPU was active, I believe.

"seeing the behavior elsewhere"
I haven't experienced this problem with other programs on this phone.
(I have not detected the problem on my Asus Transformer either, but I
have tested that far less. It will also have very different
performance characteristics.) I don't play games, 2D or 3D. Many of
the openGL demonstrators, testers or benchmarkers don't stress the
system sufficiently - i can get 50 or 60 fps. The problem is very
timing dependent- i have one picture definition for my App that fails
vaguely regularly - i have 2 or 3 others that do very occasionally,
and I have 100+ that i haven't seen go wrong yet. I simply haven't the
time to sit and fiddle about with a 3rd party app on the off-chance of
catching a glitch. If I did - that would prove relatively little. I
could sit there till doomsday with my own app under the right
conditions and never see anything untoward.

I'll maybe just take a break from this (go and paint a few
pictures :-) ) - i've been on this problem 7 days a week for nearly 3
weeks now. I might even go get a real job again, lol.

"It's insane"
Thank you for your concerns over my mental health :-)