If you are looking for close range communication, check out the Bluetooth
documentation.

If you are looking for communication anywhere on any network, you would
probably want to set up a client/server type thing like MComputing Lab
explained. Then use C2DM to let devices know when messages are waiting for
them on the server. Grab the new message from the server and done.

http://code.google.com/android/c2dm/

Steven
Studio LFP
http://www.studio-lfp.com