What you want are two fragments, one for the article view and one for the
article detail view.  You then would have an activity (or two) to manage them
based on phone versus tablet.  The fragments would communicate back to the base
activity when something happens, say a touch on the article view, and the base
activity would react as needed based on which type of device it's on.  So if
it's a tablet, where the base activity is managing both fragments, it would
simply call a method on the article detail fragment.  If it was on a phone, the
base activity would use an intent to start the second activity.  Make sense?

Chris Stewart
http://locomolabs.com