I would like some clarification/verification on using groups.

I am looking at using ContactContracts.Groups as a means for setting
up different contact properties.
It would seem this is the best means of controlling and adding custom
contract data.
As I understand it -
Groups do no span different accounts.
So am I correct in assuming that if I want my app to automatically add
a group to a user account I would first search the contact information
for the group name?
If the group isn't found I would have to add the group title to
ContactContracts.Groups for that account?
Sounds easy enough, but if I'm searching ContactContracts.Groups I
should use the entityIterator? (If so, begs to ask the question, what
is different about ContactContracts.Group?)

Thanks