I see, and that makes more sense.  Thanks for the explanation.  While using
an AsyncTaskLoader wasn't completely necessary for what I'm doing, I have
it all working and it wasn't complicated to get going.  So I'll call that a
win-win.

I did manage to solve the original intent of this question today by
creating an AsyncTaskLoader that understands how to load in all of the data
the fragments in my ViewPager need.  Thanks for the direction, the app is
behaving exactly how I'd like now.

--
Chris Stewart