In my apps, I assign the user a username, and then generate a UUID (v4) and
associate it with the user name. That way I can maintain it across
installs, as long as the user uses the same account,

Thanks

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Streets Of Boston
<flyingdutc...@gmail.com>wrote:

> We use the generated device-id for DRM purposes. The generated device-id
> is not used as-is. The DRM code creates encrypts it and creates a hash. The
> hash is used for identifying the device on the DRM server.
>
> It is true that an upgrade from 2.2. to 2.3 can trigger a different result
> if the device-id calculation is called again. This would happen if the user
> upgrades the device to 2.3 and 'clears the data' of our app.
>
> There are also other ways to have the device-id generate a different
> calculation if the user chooses to 'clear data' of our app later (e.g. on a
> WiFi only device running 2.2: download our app, never open it, then open it
> for the first time in airplane mode (by accident), clear data and then open
> it again at some later point with WiFi enabled).
>
> These two scenarios are possible, although they are very unlikely. We have
> customer support to deal with this issue (when the user finds he or she
> can't read a book due to a device limit being reached incorrectly).

Raghav Sood
http://www.androidactivist.org/ - Author
http://www.appaholics.in/ - Founder