Total installs is how many times your app has been downloaded and installed
on a device (according to the market).
Active installs is how many devices have NOT uninstalled your app
(according to the market).

The numbers keep changing because you are in the Market Console. The
console's stats are worse than useless currently. Use Google Analytics or
Flurry to get statistics for your app.

Thanks

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Terry <terb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not sure that I fully understand the contents of the Developer
> Console.
>
> E.g.: What is the difference between
> - total installs (users), and
> - active installs (devices) ?
>
> I know that the Market people have tried to explein it - men even that
> was hard to grasp (for me).
>
> And why can/does the number of total installs (for an app) become
> LOWER from one day to the next (which I have seen lately)?
>
> Does anybody know?

Raghav Sood
http://www.androidactivist.org/ - Author
http://www.appaholics.in/ - Founder