Thanks for the replies.  I like the idea of using email to distribute
the app since it's a simple interface that user's already know how to
navigate.  I also found a way to do it programmaticly.  The code below
will open the file at location APPNAME and, if successfully opened,
will present the user a dialog box requesting permission to reinstall
the application.

        // Attempt to open the file
        File app = new File(APPNAME);

        if (app.exists()) {
                Intent apkIntent = new Intent();
                        apkIntent.setAction(android.content.Intent.ACTION_VIEW);
                        apkIntent.setDataAndType(Uri.fromFile(app),

"application/vnd.android.package-archive");
                        startActivity(apkIntent);
        }

So I could create an application that checks for a specific filename
when the USB stick is inserted.