Working with bitmaps is a little hard on Android.
One thing to do is to resize or pack them so that they take up less memory.
Another thing you may want to look into is to reuse the bitmap
object/memory.  You may have to do this in native though.
As other have pointed out System.gc() just gives the system a hint that it
needs to run the garbage collector.

Good luck.

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 12:11 AM, String <sterling.ud...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> When chasing a problem like this a couple of years ago, my testing seemed
> to indicate that setting a bitmap to null right after a call to recycle()
> was leaky. It was as though the recycle call needed some time to work, and
> setting null got in the way. I found it was better to just call recycle on
> its own, and then let the GC deal with the empty bitmap object in its own
> time.
>
> String

~ Jeremiah:9:23-24
Android 2D MMORPG: http://solrpg.com/,