This quote was taken from an official Android blog post (
http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2011/07/new-tools-for-managing-screen-sizes.html
):

"The original Samsung Galaxy Tab is an interesting case. Physically it
is a 1024x600 7” screen and thus classified as “large”. However the
device configures its screen as hdpi, which means after applying the
appropriate ⅔ scaling factor the actual space on the screen is 682dp x
400dp. This actually moves it out of the “large” bucket and into a
“normal” screen size. The Tab actually reports that it is “large”;
this was a mistake in the framework’s computation of the size for that
device that we made. Today no devices should ship like this."

I don't quite understand this. If I do the math,

dp = px / (dpi/160)

The original Galaxy Tab has a PPI of 170, so:

1024 / (170/160) = ~964 dp
600 / (170/160) = ~565 dp

Hence the original Galaxy Tab is 964x565 in dp units. This puts it in
the "large" category, which was also originally calculated by the
framework but was said to be a "mistake". Why? And how in the world do
they get a 2/3 scaling factor?