lbendlin wrote:

> you're probably using network location which gives you the illusion of a
> quicker GPS fix. Switch that off, then start the camera

On what do you base such a statement?  I gave absolutely zero information
about what I experience.  "Probably"?

> app, and see how long it takes to get a real GPS fix. We're talking tens
> of seconds here.

Well, for me it's five seconds, and all the times I've used geo location
for photos that five seconds has never bothered me much.  It's comparable
to the time to do a local search from Google Maps for Mobile, for example.
 Perhaps I am unique.  Perhaps I measure latency against what other apps
provide, and since they are all in that five-second range it seems normal.

There are a couple of us now who suggested prefetch.  Is that an idea that
would work for you?

What evidence have you gathered to find the threshold at which "[y]our
users may not be willing to wait"?  Are users generally bothered by a
five-second delay for GPS?

I'm thinking you have a tendency to leap to conclusions, well, assumptions
disguised as conclusions.  You might have fallen into Knuth's famous
premature optimization trap.  You assumed things ("probably") about my
configuration and even what I experience on my phone.  Have you assumed
things about what users typically experience and can tolerate?  Shouldn't
you have some facts in hand before investing, possibly wasting effort
solving a tier-2 or -3 problem?

That said, some sort of coordinate prefetch-and-cache strategy might make
your app the new standard that has people impatient with all the others.

--
Lew