Ok.  I got it.  And I feel a little bit stupid.

I have multiple url schemes I'm using within the app to do things like
send analytics, etc.
One of those schemes is "finishedloading://", which tells me that the
page is ready for me to inject javascript.
In my shouldOverrideMethod,

if (uri.getScheme().equalsIgnoreCase( "finishedLoading" ) ){

// Call an inject javascript method
this.injectJavascript( view );

return true;

}

The inject javascript method is where I'm calling that getJSValue
stuff.  So since the shouldOverride hadn't returned yet, I was getting
conflicts.  If I inject javascript after returning true from
shouldOverride, I'm good to go.

Thanks so much for all your help.  It hit me like a ton of bricks when
reading through the WebViewCore thread stack trace.