Doug, I had the link to the stuff I'm referring to in my first post:

http://arunraghavan.net/2012/01/pulseaudio-vs-audioflinger-fight/

Just to clarify a misunderstanding here too, these are note MY findings.. I
am only referring to the work of Arun Raghavan, who did the analysis...

As a side note - my application runs also on the Open Moko phone. With much
lower latency, with a really ancient CPU... (ARM920) So it's laughable if
we can't get better numbers on todays high end phones!

   /Anton