Haven't heard anything. Some of my earlier problems were caused by
using a ListView created in another Activity. I use a ListView instead
of the regular Menu because Menu unfortunately lacks a focus listener
as needed to create a speaking main menu for blind users. However, a
quick succession of key presses on the menu key could spawn multiple
Activity invocations before one invoked Activity would take over from
the main Activity. Blocking, with semaphores, reentry via the menu
popup callback fixed that problem. A positive side effect seems to be
that the heap manager no longer gets confused in this transition
between Activities, because I never got close to the 16 MB heap limit
and yet formerly had crashes related to the 16 MB limit in toggling my
ListView "menu" on and off.

I'm not done with heap problems though. My latest observation is that
every time I would quit and restart my app, it would use about 200 KB
more according to DDMS. Of course it is conceivable that I still leak
some memory by not cleaning up everything that I should, although I've
no idea yet what I am overlooking because I try to clean up everything
that I can think of (how can I find out what I am missing?). It might
also be some cleanup bug in the internal camera preview memory heap
(a preview image takes 230 KB). However, the strangest thing now is
that my app after only a couple of runs crashes with errors like

"ERROR/dalvikvm-heap(10734): 518400-byte external allocation too large
for this process"

even though my app's own heap use has never grown above 5 MB as seen
from looking at its DDMS view. Makes no sense to me since there should
be over 10 MB left, easily accommodating for the 0.5 MB that the VM is
failing to allocate.

The only way I have now been able to fix this serious multiple run
problem is to make my app suicidal: it kills its own process through
int pid = android.os.Process.myPid(); android.os.Process.killProcess
(pid); at the end of onDestroy(). Very ugly, but it works like a
charm. Of course this goes very much against the spirit of Android,
but reliability comes first.

Apparently there is some old school wisdom in always starting with a
clean slate. :-)

Regards