They could certainly be .zip files as far as my app is concerned, but
as I understand it, in order to be device-agnostic I cannot assume
they have an SD card and cannot assume any particular download
directory (i.e. the default Android Market location).

I don't even think I can assume I'll have the ability to create a
download directory in any particular location (write access
assumption).  So the only safe option I've heard about is asking the
OS where its "Downloads" folder is located and assuming my levels are
contained within.

As mentioned, this is a vertical-market application, which also means
they will not have Internet access while the devices are in use (it's
a security/regulatory thing).  They will either need to browser our
internal file server to find the .apk/.zip they want & download it, or
we'll need to write a small app that lets them choose what to
download.  I'm thinking either way the files wind up in the default
"Downloads" folder -- I just need to programatically determine where
that is and ensure I have read access to the files therein.

Thx,
BT