On 2/1/2012 11:01 AM, atcal wrote:
On Feb 1, 4:25 pm, Ted Scott<t...@hootinholler.com>  wrote:
On 2/1/2012 4:11 AM, atcal wrote:

I'm trying to define my own View subclass.
public class myView extends View {
      myView(Context context) {
          View(context);
      }
}
Eclipse flags the first line of my constructor with an error "Implicit
super conctructor View() is undefined. Must explicitly invoke another
constructor" and the second line is flagged with the error "The method
View(Context context) is undefined for the type myView."
What does all this mean? The android documentation shows the
constructor View(Context context) as public. Why can't I use it?
There are several reasons why View() is not available and will never be
available.

It means you don't understand class instantiation and the life cycle of
a class. This is not an Android issue at all and I suggest that you
spend some time learning Java fundamentals. These folks are generally
pretty helpful with thathttp://www.javaranch.com/- Hide quoted text -

Ted,

Thanks. You are probably right. While I have 10 yrs experience of C++
with Windows and Java looks deceptively similar, things like this are
tripping me up. I do understand about classes and instantiating
objects but obviously not the peculiarities of Java. I've tried to
register at javaranch but the website is not fast at sending back the
registration activation email. I'll have to learn to be patient.

I meant that they have tutorials and stuff. Since you have the syntax etc from c++ then maybe the O'Riely book Java in a Nutshell would be helpful. Oh, and you can forget the evil multiple inheritance and pointer stuff. ;)

Probably a little tedious for you, but there is this: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/javaOO/index.html which lacks a bit of detail as to why, but does cover the how of fundamentals.