I would suggest using AlarmManager for your repeating 15s update.
Handle the Intent in a private BroadcastReceiver inside your
AppWidgetProvider. Forget the Service as the scheduling mechanism but
use it for the download of the next image from within your
BroadcastReceiver. In BroadcastReceiver also (re)set the next alarm in
AlarmManager to give the "forever" 15s repeat. Services can be killed
basically at any time unless they are bound to a Notification but who
wants a Notification if the Widget is on the screen already? Check
your log, you might find the system is killing the Service.

Then, handle Screen On/Off Intents so you only do your downloads when
the screen is on.