On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Kristopher Micinski
<krismicin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Todd Grigsby <tgrigsby...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> RPC and REST are both used to implement Web services, and that's where the
>> semantic similarities end.  I only brought it up because Amazon touts
>> DynamoDB as REST, but it's anything but.  I find it aggravating when some
>> noob creates a Web service and slaps a REST label on it because he read an
>> article about it, but doesn't understand what it means.  Even worse, Amazon
>> does have experience creating actual REST services, so you would think
>> someone there would have stopped the announcement and corrected the online
>> docs and marketing blurbs.
>>

> That's obviously a pretty impassioned response.. I don't think it's
> quite that far, since I generally think of RPC -- in it's general form
> -- as doing something sufficiently high level to abstract away the
> differences between the protocols.  Here, I'm talking about any
> general utility that lets you interface between systems written in
> very different ways.. I'd agree with your sentiment of REST being used
> as a buzzword, but I'm not sure you can say that they have nothing in
> common except both being used in web services.  (I guess now that I
> think about it more, however, REST does feel much less than the
> typical things I see in RC, but all he necessary requirements to
> implement the traditional stuff are there, there's nothing lacking in
> inherent expressivity, though I suppose this is like saying the
> differences between Haskell and the lambda calculus isn't that much..)
>
> kris

To update, however, I'm expecting you'll write back a response beating
down my viewpoints of this idea, as many REST people seem to have a
pretty heated opinion on this point, that's fine. I wasn't viewing
this in a very implementation minded way, and I'd prefer not to argue
about it..

kris